CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

February 18, 2008

Meep to the Meepest Degree of Meepishness Meeping


If a day like today is what is necessary to have something to blog about, I'd rather be blogless, thank you very much.  

After a morning of boring errands, Sarah headed over so we could walk with the kids to the park.  While Ewan ran around like a maniac, and after letting Fynn toddle around a little, I took him up to go down the slides, which he loves and laughs with pure joy every time.  So our third time down, we went down the slide, and his shoe caught on the side, jerking his leg back. His laughing turned into the strangest cry I've ever heard.  It was just a complete wail, and I had a bad feeling.  After comforting him a little, I decided to try again on the slide thinking it would cheer him up.  That didn't work.  I speculated maybe he'd sprained or even broken it, but I knew there was no way that was possible.  After we got home I changed his diaper and wiggled his legs all around, and he didn't cry.  But after his nap, he couldn't stand up on it and was in hysterics.  My doctor directed us to the ER.  Try standing room only ER, I literally sat on the floor.  I got there at probably 3:45, perhaps earlier, and just got home at around 10:15 pm.  I was shuffled from waiting area to waiting area, while listening to one woman freak out because they wouldn't give her her psychiatric medication, then enduring the same woman staring at me quite intensely for a very, very long time, then listening to a mother worried about her 17 year old son be told to F*** off by both her son and her husband.  It was simply grand.  And then the grand finale:  Fynn's tibia is broken. Which, in case you don't know, is the big shin bone.  Can you believe that?  Broken.  It's what they call a "non-displaced fracture" or as we would call it - a crack.  The poor baby just learned how to walk, and now he has a giant splint on his leg and can barely even crawl.  I am so upset, I just can't even put it into words.  I am speechless (though not "typeless" apparently). I also hadn't eaten any lunch at all, so I was near passing out the entire time at the ER.  Luckily Mary Ann was able to get Ewan early on, so he was comfortable in his own home with Grandma and Grandpa.  Bryce was able to join me much later, and he took Fynn home when we were released so I could get me some food.  

Here is when the day got even better.  On the way to get food, I noticed a CVS Pharmacy with "Open 24 Hours" on the sign, so I wanted to get his prescription filled.  They told me they wouldn't fill it because they closed at 10:00.  I was walking out when I realized it was 9:50, and my sister spent years and years as a pharmacy tech, so I know it takes five minutes to fill a prescription.  Well, combine an entire day with no food, the anxiety over my injured baby, plus nearly seven hours in a crowded, flu-ridden ER, and rude pharmacists... it wasn't pretty.  Don't mess with a tired, hungry Mama Bear.  I stormed to the back and said, "Excuse me, it's 9:50, I have a baby at home with a broken leg, and you won't fill his pain meds?"  (Thinking, Why does your sign say 24 hours?)

"Ma'am, we close at 10:00."

"I understand that, it's 9:50."

"We close at 10:00."  

"So my baby will be up crying all night in pain because you won't fill his prescription even though you aren't even closed yet."  

Then the situation really deteriorated with the other pharmacist yelling back at me, and I just left.  And you know, I know it won't hurt CVS or anything, but I will never set foot in one again.  Ever.  It may not affect them, but I'll sure feel better.

Thanks so much to Keith for giving Fynn a blessing, we appreciate it so very much.  My poor Fynn.  My poor Fynnicus Fynn of the Fairest of Fynns.  I can't even make this better for him.  

Meep.

17 comments:

Ashley said...

Poor baby! Let me know when ya'll are home tomorrow, Fynn needs his cousins to visit with a new stuffed animal. And, yes I will be calling CVS tomorrow. An Rx can be filled in 2 minutes, and in your situation they could have made an exception. Assholes! Seriously, where is people's compassion nowadays? So, Chan and Fynn now have had broken legs. Wow, no more parks for awhile huh?

Ashley said...

I would like a photo of his chubby little leg in his splint please. Silly, I know. But I bet he's as cute as ever! I hope he feels better soon. If you are super desperate tonight, call me. I have prescription tylenol with codeine. We can look up his dosage.

Kelli said...

I'm going to fill his prescription tomorrow (not at CVS) and I'm not sure if the doctor wants us tomorrow or the next day. The hospital paperwork says two days. So I'll let you know when we'll be home. I'm about to start weeping again.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

WHAT PUNKS! Good for you for standing your ground and yelling back...buncha morons..can't stand to help someone and take a few minutes of their own precious time to help a FLIPPING BABY!!!
Im sorry it was so awful...I wish I could have done more, LMK if you need anything at all! Ewan can come play if you need it.
I LOVE YOU FYNNICUS!

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh I know. The whole time I was reading and typing I was getting tears in my eyes. I am so sorry that happened.

Borton Family said...

Kelli-- I am so sorry that happened. I feel so bad for poor little Fynn. Do you need a trip to OTB. Let me know and I am on my way. Seriously Lets go!!!!

Missy said...

I had a niece that broke her leg at 18-months and they never really know how she broke it! I know it's heartbreaking but young kids are pretty good at overcoming things like that. We'll keep you guys in our prayers! I'm home today so if you need anything just let me know!! Coke, chocolate, anything!

But on the bright side it will be one awesome story to tell him when he's older! He's a boy and he will LOVE it! He can tell all his friends how he was so brave when he was little when he broke his leg!

Bittles said...

Kelli I am so so sorry! Going to the ER is horrible, even worse is seeing your baby in pain and even worse are people who say they are closed when they really are not. What a yucky day.

Bittles said...

oops, I mean seeing your baby in pain is the most worst, but you know what I meant...

Shannon said...

POor sweet baby Fynn! He will get better soon with all this praying going on, AND now he will have a battle wound! We are going to keep an eye on this one for sure! One year old and already a broken bone!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. I hope it heals quickly and that his medicine helps. Seeing your baby get hurt is the worst. Bella twisted her ankle coming off a slide when I took her to the park and we had to get it wrapped. I felt so bad. Luckily that didn't make her scared of slides, so that's good. You should get him some little crutches. He probably couldn't use them but that would be an awesome picture. Get well soon, Fynn!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Poor Fynn! And poor you! I'll definitely have your family in my prayers.
Also, I don't know what ER you took him to, and I know this isn't any help for this time, but next time you have to take a child to the ER try going to Cook Children's. They are wonderful (or as wonderful as taking a child to the ER can be).

Jenny said...

I am so, so sorry! There's nothing worse than than taking your baby to the ER and having to wait forever to get help. You always said that Fynn was your daredevil. We'd love you to have Ewan over to play any timeif you need some one-on-one time with Fynn.

Amber said...

o so meep and how dare the cvs be so STUPID!

Kelli said...

Thanks, everyone. This is going to be interesting over the next few weeks, that's for sure. And is he going to have to learn to walk again?! Julie, I know better now, and next time I will go to Cooks. The nurse actually suggested it, but I get nervous driving in downtown areas, so I took him to Arlington Memorial. NEVER again... He's actually going to Cooks for his follow-up tomorrow.

Erica said...

Poor Fynn! Oh, CVS drives me crazy! They gave me the wrong meds, which in turn made me go into a-shock, so I've never been back either. I think a nice little letter to the store manager, regional manager, and heck, even headquarters is due. You have the pharmacist's name?

Kelli said...

Bryce called up there and the manager was very apologetic. He promised us a gift card! (Hopefully my sarcasm is apparent.) I am torn as to whether or not I should actually go pick it up or not...