CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

February 10, 2008

Hard Lessons and the Question of the Day

Right before I tucked Ewan in, we were having our "talking time," and he asked me what "nerd" means.  Not really knowing what to say, I hesitated for a long time, and finally told him it kind of means goofy.  He asked me, "Who is a nerd?"  I don't want him to ever make fun of people, or to ever censor himself in any way, so I gave him the most truthful answer, "Everyone is a nerd in some little way."  So he then asked me in what way Natalie is a nerd.  I told him I didn't know, but to not call her that because people don't like it.  So if he calls any of you or your kids a nerd, it's not personal, I'm sure he means it as a compliment.

Now for the real question of the night, also courtesy of Ewan:  "What would happen if your eyes were on your teeth?"

10 comments:

Shannon said...

I wonder where he learned that word? You think he heard it used in a mean way, or someone at church calling someone a nerd? I think kids are so receptive to tone, maybe he heard it come out of someone meanly and that is why he was askin'? Who knows!

Kelli said...

I don't think he sees it as a mean thing. Bryce and I call each other that in a good-natured way, not mean. And I think that's where he heard it. He asks what every word he hears means, so that's why I was trying to be so delicate in my explanation. I didn't want him to get a negative idea about the word, or about other people. Does that make sense?

Kelli said...

And him asking about how Natalie is one was totally random.

Shannon said...

Ah, yeah, that makes sense, they just hear every single thing we say! and it wasn't random to ask about Nat, they are friends! ANta asks things about Bella and ewan all the time, like if they like certain foods, or if they are sleeping too. I love that, it means they are thinking about other people!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

tell him he is LUCKY to be a nerd Ü...he's so perceptive, it's wonderful!

Kelli said...

Well, I just meant random in that we hadn't been talking about her, and all the sudden he asks me how she's a nerd, rather than how daddy is a nerd or how he is a nerd. It was funny.

Shannon said...

Just so out of the blue, makes you wish you knew what they were thinking!

Anonymous said...

He is such a character!

Jenny said...

I think I might eat a tad healthier if I could my eyes could actually see the lard dripping off my teeth...I don't know. Probably not.

Ashley said...

Ok lard on the teeth gross!