CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

November 06, 2007

This ain't Disneyland

Warning: Long, boring and personal. Read at your own discretion.

I've talked a little bit about my issues with depression. It's one of the reasons I started to blog in the first place, because I wanted a forum, and this one felt comfortable to me. As more people are reading this now, people I know and see often, I've grown a little more apprehensive about what I will write. But I want this to be a place of truth for me, so I want to write a little about what I've been going through.

My cycles of depression vary greatly, each usually lasting anywhere from two weeks to a month. I will be fine and content for a while, and either something will happen or the winds will just shift, and I get low. And then suddenly for a couple of days, I will be so low that I am actively weeping (not around the kids) and wondering how I'm going to get out of the dregs. After that passes, I'll be content again (barely content, or shall we say on "autopilot"), and that will last until... You get the picture.

I'm really pondering this now because I had the strangest experience today. I was at home with the boys, watching Oprah, which I seriously never do, and of course parts of it were so inspiring I got really weepy. (What is it with that show?) After that, I was on this really weird "high," I guess you would call it. I was all cheerful and stuff. Weird. Even when I'm really happy, I'm never really what you would call "cheerful." I turned on some music, and was dancing with the boys and we were having a lot of fun. Tears would even spring to my eyes randomly, kind of like tears of happiness. Then just as quickly as my "high" sprung up, I deflated. Just all the sudden, I was so low. There was nothing specific, just a "bla." A bad one. It was like my usual cycle, condensed into a period of less than 45 minutes. This has never happened to me before, although I am depressed quite a lot. I'm just so tired of it. And while I have nothing against drugs at all, seriously, I support them wholeheartedly as long as they aren't being over diagnosed, I just don't want to take them while I'm still breastfeeding, safe though it may be. I want to try for another baby when Fynn turns 18 months old, so that's coming up pretty quickly, and I especially don't want to be on anything while pregnant.

While I was thinking about my strange experience today, I was trying to piece the puzzle together, and I think it comes down to what I ate, seriously. I had gotten hungry for a snack, and had a Coke with some crackers. As much as I drink Coke, I don't ever do it randomly. It's always either with lunch or dinner. So it was a rarity to just snack on some Coke. And I believe in the body/food connection whole-heartedly. First, have you ever see "Super Size Me?" You must, if you haven't. Anyway, about two weeks into his experiment, he says that he starts to get depressed and down. Then there is a woman in my ward whose children have serious food allergies, and she discovered she does as well. Once she changed her diet, her depression and mood swings greatly diminished. Also, even now if she eats chocolate, even a little bit, she says she spirals into this funk where she turns really mean and sad.

So, I may try to research some sort of "depression diet," checking into the connections between food and emotions. And if I can muster up the willpower, I want to do a trial diet change to see how my coping skills and moods improve. I just want to feel solid and happy regularly, not occasionally. Forgive me for laying this all on your lap. But if you've read this far and find yourself really bored and irritated at this post, you should have heeded my warning at the beginning. So it's all your fault. :)

12 comments:

Lizzie said...

Just randomly found your blog...it's funny but the warning that it was long and boring actually made me more curious to read it...anyway, good luck with everything.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

good post.
food and moods are definitely connected! there was this boy who was autistic in the nursery with my mom...the parents of the child really pushed her to feed the child wheat-free treat b/c anything else would "gum up his mind". They had noticed in their day-to-day that if he stuck with healthy, wheat-free, sugar-free foods, he did alot better than if he was just given whatever. I thought that was really saying something, especially with an autistic child.
I feel like the Word of Wisdom (to get church-y on ya) was given us to keep us out of the "depths of dispair" (TY Anne Shirley) in a way. Of course, foods now have been so overprocessed and tainted that finding specifically what effects might be difficult.
You should definitely share what you learn about depression diets!
I'm being long-winded tonite :).

Simply Sarah *K* said...

AND!! You should post what you want. None of us on here will judge you b/c we are your friends! And if someone out there DOES judge..then they are LAME and should be forgotten:).

Kelli said...

Oh, my gosh, Sarah! Did you know Anne Shirley is my fictional soul mate. My KINDRED SPIRIT!!!! I love that you brought her up! And...I meant to mention this in my post, too, that Jenny McCarthy was on TV a while back talking about her autistic son, and how when she changed his diet his symptoms almost disappeared. I just don't know if I can stop being lazy enough to research and execute it properly, you know?

Shannon said...

OK, I am very intrigued now. Because as I too may have mentioned I have been abnormally depressed altely too and I KNOW for a FACT that I have been eating crappier and if I think hard enough, it may conicide with my "funks"! You may be on to something! Genius, let me know what you find! I would love to find a natural "cure" for my moods!

Amber said...

Depression runs in my family. My mom has been clinically depressed several times and has been on medication my entire life for it. She is currently off medication and is taking a natural substance called Limu. She's been taking it for a few years now and it seems to really be working. I believe as you that what we put in our body affects our moods. It's just so darn easy to put some crackers and coke on the menu for lunch than it is to make something. :o)

Mariah said...

I am joining your research quest....Oprah had a doc on who talked about this very thing....

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Anne Shirley is my favorite! I love her from the movies, though...I have yet to read the book, but I DO have it! So I will read it someday. A few months ago, I rented all of the movies...from Anne of Green Gables all the way thru Anne of Avonlea and Anne of Green Gables the sequel. It was really neat. That is one set I would LOVE to own!

elisa said...

Hi kelli! I love your post, good stuff! All these are brain foods and immune boosters.
Try edamame beans boiled in salt water.
Almonds in anything.
Flax seeds mixed in any grain (flour).
Try smoothies instead of Coke (I know, I know) with your fav fruit, use honey or turbinado sugar (instead of white sugar).
I really think you should consider non hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) diet for at least a day to see how you feel.

elisa said...

By the way, you could always try to make your own treats, you might like it even better! like the recipes for stuff that you always buy. But without the preservatives and chemicals. I will make a "Hostess" treat for pre-k and we will test it out!
All for chocolate creme-filled cupcakes, say aye!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Josh and I have been eating out a lot lately (since my house is under construction and my kitchen is usually unavailable because the construction crew has been in there working on various things) and I have noticed that I feel very *blah* lately, too. Hmm... I looked into some different diet things for Kelly (since he is autistic), but so many of the recommended healthy foods are *so* expensive. It's frustrating. If you find any good information please post it!

Kelli said...

Oh, Elisa, if only it were that easy. While smoothies are yummy, they don't have that wonderful of burning as they go down. Ahhhh...
But, yes, I know you are right.
And now I'm off to have a Coke.

haha, but seriously, as soon as I get some answers and some time, I will post what I find for those of you that are interested.