CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

January 15, 2008

WARNING: Long and quite possibly uninteresting

When I was about six months pregnant with Fynn, I had been kind of down, not to mention so exhausted that it took superhuman effort to close my eyes. I'd cooped Ewan and myself up for several days, not going anywhere or even taking him outside to play. I remember getting a boost from an article or church or something, and it made me feel all empowered and I woke up one morning determined I wasn't going to be all mopey anymore, that I was going to live better and happier every day. My first priority was to make sure I made it up to Ewan, to make sure I gave him a full, happy, active life for a little boy. My very first step was to wake up one morning and immediately after breakfast take him to the park and let him play for as long as we wanted. It was around 10 am, and we were the only ones there. The parking lot next to the park was empty when a man drove up, parked right next to my car, and immediately I got this prickly, ill-at-ease feeling. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I knew something was wrong. I watched that man like a hawk. I didn't know what was up, but I knew something was going to happen. All he did was get out of his car, open the door and stand there. I figured he was waiting for someone, and I figured it was probably for a drug deal, or worse. Something to explain the naggy feeling I had. I was so nervous I was nearly shaking, and finally after ten minutes, he left. Just got in his car and left. I decided to leave immediately in case he came back, and as we walked to our car, I noticed glass all over the ground. I was sick to look in Ewan's carseat and see all the glass in it. I knew then where that bad feeling had come from, but was relieved when I noticed our stereo was still in the car. (We've had four of them stolen since we've been married.) But then I remembered that my purse had been in the car. (And I don't ever leave my purse in the car, unless I'm going to be fifty feet away and in full view...) Fortunately for us, I had no credit cards or money in there, but unfortunately, my sonogram pictures were in there. The ones where we could see Fynn's face so perfectly and, seriously, could already tell he looked like Ewan. I was even madder when I heard that he'd had a woman in the car, hiding, and she is the one who slithered out and did the dirty work. I thought, "Hey, aren't we, like, supposed to be like sisters. Or something?" I won't bore you with the rest, but there is a point to all this, I promise. I talked about how this made me feel a little here, and even though it was a minor incident, it really was a couple of weeks before I could sleep through the night without thinking about it. I was so angry that I had been so stupid, and it freaked me out, and I had that vulnerable, victimized feeling you hear about.
Since the new year, I've wanted to be more active, and since we have a nice park at the end of our street that takes less than 15 minutes to walk to, I've plopped Fynn in the stroller a couple of times and walked with Ewan to go play. Yesterday we went again, and on the way, for some reason, I had that same prickly, ill-at-ease feeling. We passed some people that looked harmless, but, eww, something about them scared me. They ended up at the park with us, and kept whistling to a large group hanging out on the street, signalling each each other about something, and they were just making me so nervous. I couldn't ignore what I was feeling, so we left. And even walking back, Ewan was acting odd. He was really upset, but he couldn't tell me why. He kept saying, "I'm worried. How will we get home?" I just felt so completely unsafe, and it wasn't just the two I mentioned that made me nervous. The gang graffiti that is sprayed all over my neighborhood was no help, either.

While our immediate pocket around our house, ten or so surrounding neighbors, is fine, you get beyond that, and it's just kind of scary. There have been a few shootings I know about, and our neighbor's house was broken into. When we first moved in, we kept getting letters from someone in prison. All this to just say, I'm tired of feeling unsafe. It's not just my neighborhood, but the world. How do I not be completely paranoid? I think I need to quit reading the news...

Anyway, this was really pointless, but I have nothing else to write about right now. I've talked to Bryce, and we've agreed to set ourselves a timeline for moving in two years. We're going to try to get out of debt, save some money, and then possibly rent a house, so we won't be tied down, in the same ward boundaries (which are huge) because we love our ward so much. For the first time in my life, I feel like a real member of a ward family, and there are awesome people there. Someday we dream of moving to Oregon, the coast. Or perhaps somewhere we can actually experience four seasons, rather than two: muggy with a mild chill, and muggy with melting skin.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

OK, first I remember when that happened at the park and yes, it was CREEPY and WRONG! Who steals from a pregnant woman and a toddler? WHO?? Second, I agree that you need to move! If you dont feel safe, then you have got to get to a place where you do! We are going to rent soon, and there are some cute neighborhoods up here. We should go house scouting together! fun!

And my, isnt it crazy how in tune kids are? It is like they arent as worried about so many other cares so they notice when something is off!

P.S. Love you and not boring!

Kelli said...

I won't be able to move for a long time, two years at least. But I'll help you look!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I'm so glad you have a timeline, it will give you something to look forward to! You never know how things will change in that timeline, too...something wonderfully unexpected might come up! :)
Watching the news and reading about it definitely isn't on my to-do list!! LOL...my gramma watches CNN constantly all day long, and won't leave the house. NOT the way I want to end up!

Ashley said...

My house may be up for sale soon...
I am with you, the world is so freaking scary!

Shannon said...

2 years at least??? why? especially if you are going to rent. Do you have to stay in the house that much longer? we probably wont move into a house till next spring after Keith takes the BAR...

Kelli said...

We own this house, we can't just pick up and leave because we want to! :) Bryce and I want to do things the right way, and be out of debt, at least mostly, and have some money saved. That's the right thing to do, and we'll be better off.

Missy said...

I agree with Shannon that you should move sooner, but also agree 100% with you about getting out of debt. John and I have said we won't buy a house until we are completely out of debt (party because we wouldn't be able to afford it!) You wouldn't want to try and sell your house right now as it is with the marketing like it is.

You do have to keep in mind, though, that Ewan will be starting school in the not too distant future and you'll want him to be in a good, safe school that you like. I'm not sure the schools around you would fit that bill. But you never know! Some research will help with that. Good luck! If you worked hard maybe you could cut your time line by a few months? It'll be a LONG 2 years otherwise!

Ashley said...

Yes, the market is bad. But, we are having an agent come and talk to us about selling anyway. My house has jumped 50k in value in 3 years. But, I live on land. It can't hurt to have an agent come by. We are going to get her professional opinion, then we can get out of debt. Because of our financial issues, and the house going up in value, it might be our lifesaver. But, I have been praying and have faith that I will get the right answer for my family. But, on another note, we used to live in a quaint little area and the garbage has built up around us. So, where to go?

Anonymous said...

Well I have to chime in. It is not that easy to just up and move when you are in a house. You have to consider how much equity you have, how fast will it sell, if it sells do you have another place to move, and will you get what you want.

Our situation is not like Ashley's were her neighborhood was new and growing and ours is old and established.

Honestly in Texas as well you are not going to find a perfect neighborhood unless you live in Highland Park or Southlake where EVERYWHERE is rich. All over Arlington there are apartments so there won't be anything safe.

Our house is nice for what it is and we have good neighbors. We haven't had any problems either.

elisa said...

I know what you mean, Kelli.
I always worry about living over here but the fact of the matter is, that worry doesn't help. If we are doing what we are suppoused to, the Spirit will guide us.
I'm really glad you all listened!
I have to say, that I was pretty nervous around here the day a police officer knocked on our door,(there was an issue a couple of streets down), asking about the screaming (bruce playing with the kids) then I noticed we got a really nice new neighbor, and for some reason, it made me feel better.
I definitely think a sense of community helps and blesses everyone. We only know a few of our neighbors but knowing each one helps.

Shannon said...

Yeah, it IS hard to mave and sell your house! My brother in law, they had to sell their house and were moving cross country, it took a LOT of praying to get everything to work out with just the right timeline, and I think even then the house was empty for a little while, not good for money wise! I bet when you guys decide to finally move everything will be smooth! and hey, if you sell your house before you find a new place you have tons of friends and family that will gladly take you all in on a rotation schedule, lol! Roomies!