CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

January 07, 2008

Dear Fashion Industry

True, I'm not a style icon. Certainly not since I had children and don't have the time or energy to put together an outfit that consists of anything more mature than a T-shirt, cuffed up jeans (because they are too long) and goofy sneakers. More often I look like a Pez-chomping high-school boy than a 30-year old mother. But I try. And I spend more time than I should perusing fashion magazines and drooling over the wardrobes of many a celebrity. Maybe I don't dress for my body type, but that's because I don't like blazers and my boobs bust the seams of any button-down top you could give me, and because I have an affinity for large, colorful prints and flowy lines. So with some exceptions, like this 80s trash you keep trying to shove down my throat, I'll buy most of your ideas, in theory if not in pocketbook. But I simply must address a grave concern of mine. Maybe I'm in the minority, but you couldn't get any of these ankle boots on my feet unless it was on my cold, dead body, and good luck even then. I'm sorry, but they are ugly. They don't look good with mini-dresses or cropped pants. Truly, I think I've never seen anything uglier in my whole life. I think I'd wear feathered, sky-high bangs before I'd lace one of those babies up. I mean, I love Little House on the Prairie as much as the next gal, but this ain't the prairie with a long dress to cover them up, and I ain't Half Pint.

Also, what's up with the Oxford booties, hmm? That's really pushing it, you know. I mean, that's a very easy line to cross straight into Hideous Town, Uglyville County U.S.A. I almost like them, especially if they are like these. Very cute, indeed. But tread carefully, my friends. Tread very carefully. And the peep-toe bootie thing? Just stop. Stop it now before you hurt yourself. Or my corneas.

Love,
Kelli

7 comments:

Missy said...

I agree with you 100%. And I often wonder if these "designers" create awful fashions and give them away to celebrities just to make them look like complete idiots. Because really, that's that they look like!

Beaded Desert said...

Okay, the oxford booties I could handle (booties???). Provided they are on the right person, with the right outfit. They'll never grace my feet (they've grown too accustomed to my comfy tennis shoes), but they are almost cute. But the peep-toe booties? Uh-uh. Stop right there. Call in the fashion police! Those are shoes that belong on a pole, or a street corner....
Love your blog! (MAM from Swap-Bot)

Shannon said...

Peep-toe booties are BY FAR the worst thing on your list. I thought I was going to puke at the picture of lindsay lohan's toes hanging over the edge of her shoes! YUCK!!!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

WHY OH WHY!? I just dont get it! I'd take goofy sneakers any day...Im less likely to break my ankle while walking! Well...maybe :).

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

The peep-toe booties are AWFUL! I'm so disappointed in Sarah Jessica.
However, the Oxford Booties are right on the edge there. They're cute now, but when I look back in 5 years will I still think they are cute or will I cringe in dispair? Decisions, decisions.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Wait! I think I just thought of a saving grace for the ankle boots. You could wear them with long pants. Specifically with heavy pants, like wool pants, in the winter. (Pants long enough that when you sit down the hem doesn't rise past your ankle.) Then you can have the look of pants with a pair boots without having the discomfort of having your boots inside your pants all day.

Kelli said...

TOTALLY, Julie. I would wear them with long pants, definitely. But I HATE when models and celebrities are wearing them with short pants and skirts, and EEK! shorts! Ick!