CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

December 22, 2007

A Perfect Day

I am actually a little embarrassed about part of what's going to be posted here, mainly because it seems so greedy and worldly, albeit totally fun. And also, I've never, never, never done something quite like this in my entire life, so there's that... It started when I decided for part of Bryce's Christmas, I would let him get some sort of video game system. I've never wanted one before, for many reasons, but I also felt too much like a tyrant by restricting them. I also I realized I can't shut Ewan off from the modern world, and that with limits video games can be fun, even beneficial for a kid of the 21st century. Even a 28 year old kid. Sooooo... of course Bryce wants a Wii, which there's no way we could afford outright. Now, Bryce and I are very careful about credit. Like, we don't use it, really. We've had credit cards before, but we've only used them on vacations, and a little for Christmas one year. But that's it. Our main goal right now is to be totally debt free. However, we talked about it and came up with a plan where he could get his Wii. Then that blessed man promised me something so wondrous and fabulous that I'm still reeling.

A shopping spree.

That's right, I got to go to Old Navy and spend the equal amount of the Wii he will buy (using the future tense as every time we've tried to inquire about the availability of one at any retailer, they pretty much laughed us out the door) on clothes. I'm even cringing that I'm admitting this on here. Please don't judge me! I recently posted this about how lame my shopping has been, and my style has left the building, but that I'm trying to get it back. But I was able to get some really good, classic clothes that I love and feel beautiful in, and it.was.so.much.fun. So fun that it is almost easy for me to ignore the nausea that creeps in every time I think about the bill. Almost. But it was a one-time thing, and the subsequent relief Bryce will feel when I'm not griping twelve hours out of twenty-four about my horrible wardrobe is probably worth it.

After the spree and a nice lunch of pasta at my favorite chain-restaurant (so sue me, restaurant snobs), I went on a date with Ewan to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was very cute, and they did such a good job. The voices sounded EXACTLY like the cartoon I remember as a kid. Also, too many shows geared toward kids these days try so hard to appeal to the adults as well, that 90% of the jokes fly right over the kids' heads. Not so with this one, it was appealing for me, but not at the expense of the kids' understanding. And the best scene is when Theodore creeps into Dave's room after a nightmare and curls up right on his shoulder. (Reminded me of being a kid with a litter of kittens curled up all over me, tucked into various crooks and crannies of my slumbering body.) Unfortunately for Ewan, he complained of a bad headache for most of the movie, but he was able to enjoy it nonetheless. After that, we went home and had a pizza picnic on our living room floor.

Luckily, even after all those carbs and cheese, I do still fit in the clothes. Regardless, I don't need to be skinny to carry this, perhaps my favorite purchase.

4 comments:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Yea for shopping sprees! I'm glad that you were able to get some cute new clothes. (Moms deserve to look good.) Are you going to be wearing any to church tomorrow?!

Also, I hate to comment on someone else's blog on yours but, if you need some very simple/very tasty treat recipes so you can make sure you're able to come to the next cookie exchange let me know. I love to bake but I'm all for simplicity!

Kelli said...

I might be wearing one of the shirts tomorrow, maybe, but the skirt I bought was online, so it depends if I can put something together mixing old stuff with new. Make sense?

I may take you up on that recipe offer. I used to bake really good cookies, but somewhere, someday, I lost the touch. Now they always turn out flat and icky.

Shannon said...

Oooo sounds so fun! What a nice treat to be able to shop, have good luck doing it, and take your little man out on a sweet date! A perfect day indeed!

Ashley said...

Yay for new clothes! And movies! And pizza picnics! Beats the day we had, hands down!