CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

December 26, 2007

And life returns to shades of normal

What a letdown, huh? It's over. Bryce took Friday off, so we've had this awesome five-day weekend, and then *poof!* it's over and he's back at work today. But I suppose it's okay; the last five days have just truly been so wonderful and fun, and made me fall just that much more in love with my little family.

Christmas Eve was nice. We headed over to my parents' house for pizza and presents. At home, Ewan and I left snickerdoodles out for Santa (though I've heard he prefers Coke and Funyuns. Go figure... The cookies were gone at any rate.) and we also left out some cheese for Santa Mouse. Miraculously, Bryce and I were able to get in bed at 11:00, but we couldn't sleep! I was so excited for the boys, and Bryce was wound up. We just talked and talked for hours. I think we finally fell asleep at around 2:30. The boys woke up at around 8:00 and Fynn had a fever, but after some medicine, he was able to enjoy his Christmas. Unfortunately, Ewan seemed to enjoy Fynn's stuff a lot more than his own, which I'll expound on in a minute. We headed over to Bryce's parents' house for presents, and were going to stay until dinner, but Fynn's fever popped back up quite high, so we all went home. Bryce and Ewan went back over there to have dinner, while I had a meal of Denny's take-out at home. Good grief, I can't remember the last time I ate food that greasy. But all in all, it was a good time, and I am so grateful for my family, both immediate and extended, and for this life we have. Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who - when things are going well - starts looking for the next upheaval or tragedy. But let's not get into that.

So, about Ewan's presents. I don't know how much I've mentioned on here what a unique little boy Ewan is. He isn't your typical CARS! TRAINS! BALLS! CLIMBING! little boy, although he does like those things sometimes. But his favorite things are ALL types of music, he loves to identify and guess all the instruments, and reading. His favorite toy in a while has been that Little Einstein's baton. He is very sensitive and sweet, and extremely smart. Over the few years of his life, I've bought him cars and other boy toys, but they largely go completely unused on his shelves, gathering dust. He doesn't like to color, although he loves to paint and do Playdo. So anyway, when consulting Santa on what to buy, I advised lots of games and puzzles to help with learning to read, a few kid instruments. Some brain-teasing toys. He has actually shown a little more of an interest in trains after discovering Thomas, so I did advise a train set. Sure enough, come Christmas day, that was Ewan's set of stuff. But he was playing with Fynn's stuff. Constantly. He just didn't seem overly excited about anything of his own. Then today, in the chaos of their post-Christmas room, I looked around and realized all of the TOYS! were Fynn's. I had inadvertently provided Ewan with a completely "funless" Christmas. I didn't mean to, it just worked out that way. One thing he had asked for a few times was a "car track." So today, we took his Target gift card from Grandma and bought him a really awesome car track. I had to call Uncle DJ to come assemble it for me, but after it was all done, he had a blast, and so did I! The cars go really fast and jump a ramp. So a lesson learned for little ol' me and some good old-fashioned boy fun for my precious Ewan who is constantly surprising me.

Now we go immediately into planning Fynn's birthday party. His birthday is this Sunday, and we'll be having his party on Tuesday since most people are off. It's a dilemma because I don't ever want to cheat him out of a good birthday just because it's so close to Christmas, but what do you buy for a little boy who just scored so many treasures? It's a conundrum, I say.

When Fynn has a fever, he just lays on whoever will hold him, completely motionless but wide awake. For hours, if possible. You can see his little eyeball peeking at me here.

Ewan's loot. While nice, not FUN!

Fynn's loot. FUN!

Opening presents at Grandma's.

Calling his agent, because he's so stinkin' cute!

And oh, yeah, my awesome husband got me a GUITAR!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

It sounds like overall problem solved! And you know, it will always be that way, both kids will like what the other one has, it is like that here and I have a boy and a girl! And what a good idea on the "loot" pictures! Makes it much easier to see what they got, without trying to add it all up in my brain!

Anonymous said...

Yea it was super fun. Had lots of fun with my Belle and enjoy the family. Didn't even want to come back to work.