CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

March 09, 2008

R.I.P. Wilma

See that big tree? I've just this very moment named it Wilma. It resided in our front our yard, and was a major selling point for the house. It has housed a family of woodpeckers, held my birdfeeders, given us shade, a resting place, provided a ladder for my cats to the roof, as well as a place for them to nap. About six months ago, that large branch behind Ewan's head fell down for no apparent reason.
Then two weeks ago, Bryce walked outside to find the trunk was splitting down the middle. The only thing keeping that branch on the left from falling to the ground was that it had cradled itself up against another branch. We're pretty sure a fungus was killing it slowly, and after consulting with a man with a tree company, decided it needed to come down. Meep.
The boys stood here for twenty minutes and watched the men work. Motionless. Riveted. Fascinating stuff, you see.
I thought they were leaving me some height of trunk. I was wrong.
But Fynn had fun playing on it.
The funereal shot.
We are sad. Meep, Tree. Meep, Wilma.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

wow! it is really gone! the whole thing, that really is a "meep"! I bet that was awesome for the boys to watch though!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Whoa! You're house looks nakie Ü. Better a naked house than a tree-limb-thru-the-roof-house!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

That's so sad! I love big trees in front of houses.
I'm afraid that one of the big trees in my backyard is dying. Did you like the company you used to cut yours down? I'm afraid that I might be to that point soon.

Kelli said...

Yes, we liked them a lot. They were on time and it was done in around two hours. Let me know if you need the number.

Missy said...

Aww!! I LOVED that tree. It shaded me so many times coming to your porch in the rain. And the way it rustled in the wind. Wow, that's so sad! Are you going to plant a new tree in it's place? It would be cool to see how much it grows before you move. I heard someone say that they planted a tree at their house everytime a baby was born. I think that's awesome. Anyway! Sad to see that tree go!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

If you could send me an email with the number for the company you used that would be great!!

Scuba Steve said...

I am so sorry to see that the tree is gone... For one thing your utilities will go up in the summer. I love the last pic with the Dandelion... Priceless.

Sarah Young said...

What a bummer! I like the idea of planting a new tree. It goes along the lines of for every death there is a birth.

Jenny said...

That stinks. Will you have to get a stump grinder in order to plant a new tree? The tree in our front yard is on it's way out, too.

Anonymous said...

I think Rent-to-Own has trees now. Don't quote me on that, but it's worth checking out.