CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

June 05, 2008

Consumerism - 2, Taylors - 0

(Don't let my title fool you; I'm not one who gets all riled up about "rampant consumerism" or whatever it is people get riled up about...)

Up until very recently, like two weeks ago, we didn't have cable or satellite or anything like it.It's not that we don't enjoy the shows that are on there, but rather we enjoy them far too much, and by not having it, we've been trying to save ourselves a life of couch potatoism and brain rot.  (Not that people with satellite have a life of those, just that we know WE would.)  We're giving it a trial run, and really so far it's not that impressive.  Every time we turn it on, something good has just ended and the current run is all junk.  But who knows, we may keep it, just because it records stuff for us!  But mainly because of the daily fresh episode of the Backyardigans.  THAT IT RECORDS FOR US!  

As a result of never having had satellite, Ewan's T.V. experience has been mostly commercial free due to PBS Kids and DVDs, and also our family's tendency (passed down lovingly from the Taylor side) to mute commercials.  But lately, while Fynn is napping, I know I need to take advantage of that opportunity, so I let Ewan catch up on his Backyardigans while I get some rest.  So I can't decide if this is a bad thing, or just a terribly funny thing.  Ewan lately is pimping out all sorts of products to me.  He was absolutely
insistent that we make sure we get some Clorox in our cabinet.  I assured him we had some, and he would not rest until I actually showed him the bottle, to which he said, "So that's where you keep the Clorox, now where do you keep the Clorox wipes?"  He then proceeded to tell me all the things Clorox was good for.  Same day, later, he drops his applesauce all over the floor.  As I crawl under the table armed with paper towels and some random cleaner, he chastises me, "Mommy!  You need Clorox for that mess!"

But today was the best nugget of all.  We went out back to play, and out of the clear blue, he exclaimed, "OH NO!  We don't have any Claritin."  Assuming he was referring to Bryce's allergy attacks every time he steps in our backyard, I said nothing.  After a few minutes of reflection, Ewan told me some long thing about Claritin which ended in, "So I need Claritin so I can ride a skateboard."  Which, I haven't seen the commercial he must be referring to, but I can only assume it involves some poor allergy-ridden boy who can't enjoy the outdoors until he has his Claritin, which magically makes him a whiz on the skateboard.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I hate how there are commercials on nickelodeon (sp??) but that is SO funny! Mine heavily enjoy the Chuck E Cheese commercial, and Nat watches the barbie toy commercials like TV. They always seem to catch them between the time that arthur gets ver at 7:55 and backyardigans start at 8....blasted commercials!

Ashley said...

ok, now that is cute! Ewan is hilarious. Have fun with recordable cable! Brain rot city!

Missy said...

That's so funny. It reminds me of Julie saying one time that her kids drill her on whether or not they are saving enough on their car insurance. That's actually one thing I love about the Disney Channel, they don't really have "real" commercials. I'm amazed when I watch Nickelodeon at how many commercials they are!

Jenny said...

Who knew that Claritin was the best kept secret of all skate-boarders?

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

That's funny about the Claritan.
Sadly, my boys have been known to use the DVR to rewind commercials so that they can watch them again.
The other night as I was trying to get the boys to go to sleep one of them told me that he needed Ambien. Then he could go to sleep quickly and sleep all night.

Amber said...

OK, I forget to check your blog now that you are private (for how many months now - loser friend am I). Any hoo...We like Nogin (sp?) because it is commercial free. We like to DVR things too...we LOVE LOVE LOVE Little Bear. When Abygail is having a tantrum the only thing that saves her is Little Bear.