CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

April 29, 2008

Adventures in dog-napping

Mary Ann was dog-sitting for us for a few days, and today I had to go pick Sugar up.  I called Mary Ann ahead of time to let her know I was coming, and while on the phone she mentioned two Cocker Spaniels that had been seen roaming her neighborhood.  They looked like someone's pets, she said, but obviously needed help.  After a search around the neighborhood, however, they had disappeared.  

But when I turned the corner into her neighborhood, there in the middle of the street, was this sweet little dog, just sitting there, staring off into the distance.  I pulled up slowly next to him and shooed him off of the road so he wouldn't get hit.  When I told Mary Ann about it, we decided to go and get him.  He wouldn't go to her, and climbed up into a little patch of woods near her house.  I took the leash from her, and crawled up after him.  He had gotten into a very tight patch full of thorns.  He let me pet him and get the lease around him, but getting him out was an exercise in ripping up my arms and legs with thorns.  Seeing him up close, I realize he's probably been abandoned a lot longer than we had thought.  He was quite timid and scared until we got him into Mary Ann's backyard, where he began to get very happy and excited, and he really loved the boys.  

Now, I gripe about dogs a lot, I know.  But it's really just because my dog is so annoying.  Seriously, I can't even tell you.  And I fell in love with this other little dog in the ten minutes I was in his company.  We are going to try to see if someone has advertised a lost dog that matches him, but if not...  Mary Ann and I just might be squabbling over him.  

2 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Cockers are such great dogs. Seriously...maybe MaryAnn will take Sugar and give you the new dog Ü.

Jenny said...

I think all my favorite dogs have been strays...they're so grateful and sweet.