CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

August 27, 2008

Pimp my ride

I'm lucky when pregnant in the sense that I don't get morning sickness at all. Ever. Maybe a little gaggy, but that's about it. But my body makes up for it in other ways, and I don't get a respite for the entire nine months. First, exhaustion. Now, I know everyone is exhausted when they are pregnant, so nothing new, but I swear sometimes I can't even lift my arms. The worst part for me is back pain. BAD back pain. In fact, a shooting, spiking pain that starts on my left hip and goes all the way down my leg is usually my first indication that I'm pregnant. I'll have days where I wake up okay, but as I'm walking, it will literally feel like I've been shot - the pain is that sudden and severe. Sometimes my leg will buckle beneath me. I had this with Ewan, but only at night. With Fynn, it was so bad there were days I literally couldn't take care of Ewan and had to call someone to come get him because I couldn't even walk through the kitchen to make him food. This pregnancy I've had it as well, but there have been good days interspersed. Until this past Friday. It has been so very, very bad. And no respite. And I'm so frustrated. The pain really is so awful, and I consider myself to have a pretty good tolerance for pain. The problem is that I also have a high tolerance for medicine, and mere Tylenol does absolutely NOTHING to help this pain. I don't even bother taking it anymore, because it's pointless. Nights like tonight, where even laying down doesn't help, but merely makes my leg throb as if reminding me, "Hey, at least you didn't throw up like some people," I feel like I just can't do it anymore. I just want one normal day, pain free, where I can walk around my house without stumbling or shrieking. I am a pretty melodramatic person by nature, but I really try to hold it in with this. I try so hard not to react - it throbs constantly - but then the shooting pain comes so suddenly, so sharp that it completely takes me by surprise. There's no real point to this post, just to express my frustration and tears and MAKE IT STOP!

I told Bryce I'm going to buy a wheelchair (only half-joking.) I'll need help from my friends and family to "pimp it out" for me. I want a 20 oz. Coke holder and a compartment that keeps my chocolate chip cookies warm while also keeping my milk cold. A guacamole and chip dispenser would be nice, an outlet for my iPod to charge, and some nice rims would be good, too, 20 or more inches please. An arm that pops up with a water-misting fan will be absolutely necessary as well. I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'll accept blueprints and prototypes by mail. Hurry, I have two months left.

TWO MONTHS! Waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

(Disclaimer: I am so excited to be having this baby. I've accepted this is my lot when bringing a new little guy into the world. I'm grateful for this pregnancy- it just doesn't make it any easier.)

6 comments:

Missy said...

That's so funny, about the wheelchair. I really really hope you get some relief from the back pain. Does sciatica happen in the back, too? Because if it's not sciatica then there has to be a way for you to get some relief. Whether it's from an adjustment (probably can't do that pregnant though) or what. I hope your doctor can prescribe you some pain killers that you can take 'cause seriously. It's not fair for someone carrying an unborn child to go through that much pain with our modern medicine!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I know you know this, but you totally have yourself a case of sciatica...with the pain and numbness running down your leg. It's nice and common w/ pregnancy...and hopefully will lift just as soon as that baby is born!
Remember those stretches I showed you at the beginning of your pregnancy? That's what you need to be doing every day, a couple times a day...stretching that pain out. That and this site: http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/back-pain-during-pregnancy
has lots of suggestions on what to do to help. AND....you can talk to your doctor about using ibuprofen instead of tylenol, since its an anti-inflammatory (and will help the muscle release the sciatic nerve).
Anyways...thats my two cents! But all the pain is totally worth it in the end, right!? Ü

Sarah Young said...

I had sciatica with my pregnancies too. When I was pregnant with our oldest Maryn, I was still working full time since Justin was in school, which made me the breadwinner (yay, no pressure) so I couldn't miss work. I was a Dental Assistant which required moving around all day. I would literally have to sit in a rolly chair and scoot around the office to get around. Pathetic. Don't worry, as you know, it's miserable now, but this too shall pass.

Jenny said...

How about a wireless connection/laptop attachment? That would make it perfect.

I'm so sorry you're so miserable! You sound like you're having such a hard time!

I think you probably just need to drink some more coke and eat more cheese. That's my official prescription.

Amber said...

Yes, no matter how much one can love being pregnant or excited for a new life to come to the family ... there are those pesky 'symptoms'!!!

My worst are headaches and heartburn. Although I feel sick all the time and my back hurts and my legs cramp...and on and on and on.

I still think I've got it better than you though. Shooting pains!? NO THANK YOU!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

That sucks! You definitely need to drink more coke and eat more chocolate :) And remember, I live close by, and am home quite often, so I can help in a pinch (pun only slightly intended)